This recipe is from Tin Cho Chaw, an amazing chef and author from Myanmar. You can find out more about her book and other tips from her website www.hsaba.com. We highly recommend her book – the recipes are simple and delicious – what more do you need!!
1cm fresh ginger, sliced
3 garlic cloves
2 lemongrass stalks, white part only
1 large red chilli
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon Bayin peanut oil
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar or dry sherry
1 teaspoon garam masala
450g fatty pork, cut into small chunks
12 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 1 hour
1. Soak the Skewers in water to ensure the ends don’t burn.
2. Put the cut pork into a bowl.
3. Using a pestle and mortar pound the ginger, garlic, lemongrass and chill, then add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
4. Pour the marinade over the meat, cover and leave in the fridge for an hour.
5. When you ready to cook the meat, thread 3-5 pieces of meat onto each skewer pop on barbeque or under a pre-heated grill for 15-20minutes turning occasionally until cooked through.